Sunday, June 27, 2004

I spent the weekend in Malacca, for the San Pedro's Feast Day, but came home sick. I am in front of the computer, sipping a hot cup of lemon char, blowing my nose, and wheezing away, with a little asthma.

St. Peter is the patron saint of fishermen, and that's the main source of income for the Portuguese Eurasians in Malacca, thus once a year, they have a big celebration to honor him.

It's a lot of fun, all the hot Eurasian babes come to dance and enjoy the evening. I bought a book, at the fair, written by a Eurasian lady detailing Eurasian culture, and her experiences growing up in a Eurasian family. She left a quiz in one of the chapters, "The Quintessential Grago (Eurasian) Quiz"

If you can get at least 15 out of 20 questions right, you definitely grew up in a Eurasian family. The questions were very funny, it is so hard to imagine how many similarities we have even if we did not grow up in the same family. Although her book did not provide any answers to the quiz, I think I got most of the answers right....

I am going to share with some of the hilarious questions with you.

1. Every established family has at least one:
a) Girlie
b) Dolly
c) Flo
d) all of the above

Answer : All of the above. Aunty Girlie is now 98 years old, but I don't think my generation like to name their daughters "Girlie"

2. If friends call you Tom, your name is likely to be:
a) Tom
b) Thomas
c) Chrysostom

Answer : In my father's generation, and the generation before him, probably C! My great-grandfather was named Tertullian, and my great-grandmother, Scholastica. They had thirteen children together, and gave them even weirder names, including my Grandfather, who was born with so many names, I swear there wasn't enough place on his birth certificate. He was given the name of Cyprian Ambrose Dominic. Everyone called him Ambrose.

3. Ku fedek is:
a) a term of endearment
b) a swear phrase
c) a careless Portuguese sailor

Answer : Errr, I think it has something to do with a smelly arse.

My leaky nose is telling me it is time to go, so, another day, another story.

1 comment:

Jeeem said...

chuckle, chuckle....

Do any swimming in the Strait while you were there?

chuckle, chuckle....